Apartment living can be a lot of fun but it can also be a nightmare if you aren’t careful. While finding quality rentals is tricky in itself, so is maneuvering through apartment living. If you’re going to be checking out new rentals in the near future, it’s important to understand the best ways to handle living in apartments.
Here are some common mistakes to avoid when it comes with rental properties:
- Selecting immature or unreliable roommates — You might think that your college buddy was a great roommate during your dorm years, but this is much different. You need to be responsible at all times while living in an apartment and living with unreliable people can lead to serious problems. Take some time and seriously consider whoever you plan on living with.
- Making payments late — The easiest way to get on your landlord’s bad side is to make late payments. Be sure to stay on top of your payments from the first one to the last.
- Only paying rent with cash — Apartment renters report that 78% prefer paying online and 63% show interest in paying with a credit card. Though cash is convenient every once in a while, it can also be difficult to gather that much cash each month. You’ll have a much better chance of making your rent each month if you make payments digitally.
- Inviting more people to stay with you — If you’re moving into a new place for two people, that means it has to stay at two people. No you can’t bring a significant other or an additional friend to stay with you. Follow the rules.
- Not communicating with the landlord — It’s best to start building your relationship with the landlord right away. If you’ve never met your landlord and then need to ask for a favor or have a problem, it might be more difficult to do so — so stop by for a chat as you make your first (on time) payment.
- Declining renter’s insurance — You should think try calling your auto insurance carrier and ask about renter’s insurance before you sign anything. Doing that might even lead to insurance discounts.
If you want to find high quality rentals in the Bridgeport area, contact Meadow Creek right away!